Friday, April 19, 2013

Cure support "My Body, My Rights" campaign

From Amnesty UK: During The Cure’s “LatAm2013” tour, the group’s first in the region for 17 years, the band will be promoting Amnesty’s “My Body, My Rights” campaign, a new global initiative to highlight the barriers faced by young people worldwide - especially girls and young women - when accessing basic health services and information about their sexual and reproductive rights.
The campaign is gathering support ahead of a major UN meeting on the issue next year, and on The Cure tour Amnesty will have a “My Body, My Rights” stall and will be encouraging fans to take action.

The Cure’s Robert Smith said: “The My Body, My Rights campaign really speaks to The Cure and our fans. We’ve got thousands of young fans who obviously deserve to make their own choices about their bodies and their reproductive health.
“If even a handful of people come away from our concerts feeling they’ve got more power over their bodies - their lives - that’s got to be a good thing.
“At the end of the day it’s important that artists use whatever influence they have to highlight human rights causes. We’re really happy to have Amnesty on board for this tour.”

Art for Amnesty’s Lucy Macnamara said:
“To receive support from an iconic band like The Cure is fantastic and really appreciated.
“Their music commands a massive fanbase and it’s great that many of these fans will be learning about the My Body, My Rights campaign at these concerts.”
(Thanks David)

Update: Here's article about it from Terra. And one from RadioMDM. (Thanks Cris & David)

Update (04/19/13): Video from Amnesty International Paraguay.

No comments:

Post a Comment